Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.
-Isaiah 12 2-3

Sunday, August 21, 2011

08-17-11

August 17, 2011
Of course it's legitimate!
Hey there!

My e-mail is a bit later than usual because I helped host new missionaries in this week, one of which was a Russian speaking one! (though he's going to Romania, not Russia). Then I hosted a new sister going to Canada Spanish speaking and a new elder going to Independance Missouri! Good times!

My host sticker kept on falling off though, but that makes a bit of sense. I picked up the host sticker from the ground a couple of weeks ago and saved it for today so that I could host the new Russian Elder's coming in! Since it's P-day, I feel not guilt in having done so! Though I did get some funny looks when I explained to people why my host sticker kept on falling off.

This week has been pretty good! 3 weeks and 5 days to go! Crazy stuff right there. Everyday I go between the thoughts of "Oh yeah, I'm ready for Russia. Bring it on!" and "Oh gosh, I'm not going to be able to do or say anything in Russia that will make sense...help!" But overall I'm still a lot more excited then nervous or scared about going to Russia. Still hoping and praying that my visa will go through fine. I won't know for another couple of weeks, but here's to hoping!

I just want to say real quick that telling time in Russian makes no sense at all. To say 11:20 the liteal translation is "20 minutes of the 12th (hour is implied)" That's ok, I guess. It's all hunky dorey that the Russians are all about looking ahead and everything, and 3:30 is just "half of the 4th" so, hey! I can accept that. But after the halfway, it's just kinda odd. 5:40 is "without 20 minutes 6th". Ack! Why not just say five fourty! The cases also do fun things with the numbers, which are still a bit hard to grasp. The hardest numbers are oddly enough 1 and 2 (and their varients). Oh well, I shall persist!

I'm getting a bit stronger here at the MTC, physically at least. The food made me gain a bit of weight here, which was a bit discouraging. Even jsut last week in going to the temple I felt like my suit was just a smidge tight, which ticked me off a bit. But today, in wearing the same suit going to the temple it was loose again. Halleluia! I've been spending gym time and what little extra time I have working out and doing such shenanigans, which has served me well (especially today in lugging around giant suitcases! Good times).

I've started to succumb and make myself do notecards. I'm doing great in the language, especially grammar wise, but I don't have too many extra nouns and verbs under my belt that what's necessary. I learn best by listening and applying the words and verbs and whatnot, and because I've paid attention closely it's helped me tons in grammar. Oh well. Any suggesting from ya'll about the best way to handle notecards (if there really is a "good" way) then I'd be much appreciative!

Couple of requests real quick. Actually, just one I guess, now that I think about it. The velcro on one of my dance flip flops is pretty pathetic, and I think they sell velcro strips (or something of the like). If I could have a few of those strips (or whatever a good equivilant is), that'd be great!

Thanks for the Russian Children's songbook by the way! The spelling on the package made me giggle quite a bit (Bryant Pterson) , but they got the right address, so alls well. And thanks Jennie for the tweezers! They're quite excellent!

A couple of weeks ago I made it a goal to start reading through all the scriptures (before that my study was most just the Book of Mormon with a touch of the Old Testament in there). It's hard, but I've elarned so much from drawing from all of the sources of scripture. I especially like the Old Testament. At times it's super hard to read, but it has so many awesome nuggets throughout it all. I especially love being able to see the progression of Moses as a prophet as you see how much he learns and what he becomes starting from the Burning bush to where I am now (atop Mount Sinai). My New Testament reading has been excellent too, I studied that this mornign and I'm through to Matthew 14 right now. I wish I understood all the parables, and it's always super nice when the apostles ask for an explanation. Got through section 5 in Doctrine and Covenants, and that's some excellent stuff right there. Looking forward to more!

Ah, one more request. Mom, in my room on my shelf by my bed I should have my JST translation of the New Testament which has a ton of my notes from my New Testament class inside along with other goodies. If you could send that my way, I'd be super happy about that!

That's all I've got for now methinks. I love you all so much and you're always in my heart and in my prayers. I know that my Heavenly Father has been blessing my family and friends so much just as He has watched me so closely and lovingly. God be with you, as I know He already is.

Much love, as always
--
Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment