Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.
-Isaiah 12 2-3

Monday, August 20, 2012

08-20-12


August 20, 2012
"The pig is your comrade, Elder Peterson!" "No! I want to eat it! Bacon!"

Hey there everyone! :)

It's been a crazy week (seems like I say that a lot, don't I) and its' had it's fills of ups and downs. The biggest down, unfortunately, was about the investigator we hoped would be baptized. We had prepared her for the baptismal interview and the day before the invterview we were having a lesson and pumping her up about baptism. She gave a very strong testimony about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the vitality of baptism for the remission of sins and was all ready for the interview. The next day however, she didn't answer the phone as we called to confirm the meeting, although we were sure everything would work out since we'd talked about the time and place for the interview the day before and sometimes she doesn't answer her phone because she's at her daughters house. As we waited at the appointed place and time, she came and told us that she couldn't meet right then because she had been invited to dinner. We said that that was ok, but asked when we could meet to have the interview (preferrably that day). She then told us to never call her again and that she no longer wanted to meet or pray with us ever again and to go away. We were both pretty baffled as she said that, and right after she said it she left, giving us only a second to say goodbye. She didn't show up at Church this Sunday, so it looks like it's not her time to be baptised yet. 

Some good news though! For this next cycle I'll be staying in Marks with Elder Strebe! Yay! I was pretty happy to hear that I don't need to pack and that I don't need to worry about getting to know a new area quite yet. It's been such a huge blessing to have Elder Strebe as my companion. As with anything in life, there's hard times, but it's always a lot easier to take on everything when you have a good friend with ya. We've got some great plans on working with the members and preparing and helping Marks to grow. Another bit of good news was that this week we had a culture night by going to a members house and learning how to make delivious soup and filled bread goods (pirozhki). There she chose to tell me that my fate would be that I would become a Journalist and marry a gypsy woman (the gypsy woman part becomes of my carefulness with money, apparently). Another bit of good news is that we've started to have members give talks in Church, with the first one happening this past Sunday. It went super well! It was cool to see how one member used scriptures and different teaching materials in his talks just like we always do, so already the members (or at least he) knows how to give a good talk. It's all gonna go uphill from here methinks :)

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but for this next zone conference we have a member of the 70 whose's coming up (he's actually also the scond counselor in the Europe East area presidency! Spiffy, right?) and I was thinking about how cool that'll be. Every single zone conference there always seems to be something really cool or new that helps us to do missionary work. In looking at the past zone conference notes I took I realized there's a lot of things that I've been taught that I can still really do a lot better in the work. It always seems like I want a new arrow in missionary work when all I really need to do is have better aim and use the quiver I've already got. In any event, it's been cool to review over notes and apply old principles into new situations. Kinda like reading scriptures, applying old situations and using them in daily work.

By the way, I've been reading Daniel in the Old Testament lately, and it's a seriously cool book. I never realized that King Neb. actually became a righteous guy. Isn't that crazy? Pretty cool.

Alright, times up this week. I love you tons. Thanks for your prayers and your letters! :)


With love
--
Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment